Purple bamboo salt is an amethyst-colored mineral salt that's free of toxins, remarkably alkaline, and known for a variety of health benefits. Find out why this salt is so unique and how you can use it.
How Purple Bamboo Salt is Made
Understanding how purple bamboo salt is created will help you appreciate its value. First, natural sea salt is gathered from the Western coast of Korea. Then, following traditions developed by Buddhist monks over a thousand years ago, the sun-dried sea salt is deposited into 3-year-old bamboo pillars and sealed with red clay collected from deep in the Korean mountains. Next, the bamboo pillars are placed in an iron kiln and roasted over a pinewood fire at 1472°F for 8-15 hours until the bamboo is incinerated and a white salt pillar remains. The salt pillars are ground, re-sealed into new bamboo stalks, and the process is repeated 7 more times. On the 9th time, the bamboo salt is melted into liquid with a resin fire at (above) 2732°F. When the liquid cools, it crystalizes into highly alkaline 11.5 pH purple salt free from toxins, and rich in bioactive minerals with a distinct savory sulphur flavor. Compared to other salts, bamboo salt is exceptionally alkaline (common table salt is considered neutral with a pH of 7) and rich in necessary minerals (common table salt is processed to be devoid of minerals).
BenefitsBeyond its gorgeous amethyst color, there are a number of health benefits that purple bamboo salt offers. Here are a few!
- The purest salt. Unlike most common table salts, purple bamboo salt is free of toxins such as heavy metals and microplastics.
- Rich in minerals. This special salt offers an ample array of bioactive minerals, such as K, P, Ca, Mg, Si, Fe, Cu, Ba, V, Mn, Zn, Ge, Mo, Se, Pt, S, Sr, B, and Li.
- Alkaline. With a pH of 11.5, purple bamboo salt has an alkalizing effect on food and the body.
These are just a few of the many reasons to choose amethyst bamboo salt for cooking, electrolyte drinks, and as a seasoning salt.
How To Use
Here are a few ways to enjoy this tasty, beautiful salt.
- Substitute for common table salt in cooking and seasoning.
- Dissolve 1/3 teaspoon per 8 ounces filtered water to make a replenishing electrolyte drink.
- Personal care. Use for bathing, foot soaks, eye and mouth washes.
Due to the time, love, and care that goes into making purple bamboo salt, you can expect to pay more for this special type of luxury health salt. When you choose amethyst bamboo salt, you know that you are getting a quality product that is pure, versatile, and offers many health benefits. In the coming months, you’ll be able to purchase both authentic 9x roasted purple bamboo salt and 3x roasted gray bamboo salt from the PIOR Living online shop!
Greta Kent-Stoll is a Certified Ayurvedic Practitioner (NAMA), as well as a writer, editor, and Certified Iyengar Yoga Teacher.