Salt water cleanses have become increasingly popular as a natural way to detoxify the body. That's because a salt water flush offers numerous benefits including helping digestion and elimination to make you feel lighter and healthier.
What is a salt water flush?
Similar to the Master Cleanse, a salt water flush or cleanse is a detox strategy that involves drinking a mixture of salt and water to induce a bowel movement and aid detox.
What are the health benefits of a salt water flush?
Salt is an essential nutrient that has been used for centuries as an essential ingredient and natural health remedy. Drinking a salt mixture is known to help:
- Stimulate the body’s natural waste elimination processes to encourage bowel movement and alleviate constipation
- Restore and balance electrolyte and mineral levels for better hydration
- Encourage the release of retained water through adequate electrolyte levels
- Naturally bind and draw toxins out of the body
In addition to helping with these conditions, using high-quality salt has many other benefits, including protecting your teeth and gums from disease, improving your skin, and potentially warding off cancer.
Making your own salt water cleanse
When preparing a salt water flush, the first step is to find a high-quality salt. Not all salts are created equal, and the type of salt you use is vital to the success of the detox. For example, table salt is often heavily processed and contains additives. Himalayan salt and Celtic salt may have heavy metals and microplastics. Do not use iodinated salt.
Next, mix precisely two teaspoons of high-quality salt (or packet of Radiance Salt Tea) with one liter of warm water. The water should be warm but not boiling hot.
Make sure to use filtered or spring water rather than tap water, which can contain heavy metals and other contaminants. If you don’t use high-quality salt and water, you may be more at risk for unwanted salt water flush side effects, such as high blood pressure.
Finally, stir the mixture well and drink it within five minutes.
Salt Water Flush Recipe
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt (Bamboo Salt or Radiance Salt Tea is ideal)
- 1 liter of hot filtered water
- Optional: 1-2 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
- Heat up your water but not to boiling.
- Add your ingredients into your cup. Stir it to dissolve the salt and make sure no granules are visible.
- Drink the mixture within 5 minutes.
- Sit or lay down on your side
- Within a short time after finishing the mixture, you should start to feel the urge to go to the bathroom. Eliminate as needed.
It's best to perform this process in the morning on an empty stomach.
Side Effects of Salt Water Flush
Some people may experience stomach cramps or diarrhea if too much salt is consumed in one sitting, so it's important to start slowly. As long as a sea salt flush uses high quality salt and high quality filtered water, and is used in moderation with an otherwise healthy diet, you shouldn’t experience negative effects.