Tea is the epitome of daily, soothing nourishment in most cultures. It has the power to calm our minds and deliver medicinal benefits – all while satisfying our taste buds! If you’re looking for a healthy herbal tea to try, here are a few caffeine-free teas that are staples in ancient medicines and offer a variety of wellness benefits.
Vibrant red color with a sweet taste and cooling energy, the Hibiscus flower is a nutrient-packed herb. Hibiscus flower helps purify the blood. This healthy herbal tea can improve skin complexion, reduce fever, and alleviate menstrual cramps. It is a well-known antioxidant providing a powerful boost of vitamin C. Due to its cooling nature, it is often useful for inflammation in Ayurveda.
- Boil 1 liter of water
- Once the water has reached a roaring boil, turn off the heat and add a handful of hibiscus leaves
- Cover with a lid and let infuse for 10 minutes
- Strain the hibiscus leaves and let cool
- Add ½ of a lime, juice, and 1-2 Tbsp of coconut sugar
- Mix well and serve warm
Ginger is a historically classic herb used in Ayurvedic and Chinese kitchens. Ginger is powerful for improving digestion, reducing gas, relieving nausea, and reducing pain and inflammation, making it a great healthy herbal tea to drink daily, and especially before meals. It is also considered slightly warming, making it enjoyable to sip on during the autumn, winter, and spring. The ginger flavor may mellow a bit once cooked, making the tea form a delight.
- Bring 1 liter of water and 1-knob of sliced ginger to a boil
- Once boiled, reduce the heat and simmer for 12 minutes
- Turn off and remove from the heat and allow to cool
- Strain the ginger and add this healthy herbal tea to your favorite mug
- Add a dollop of fresh honey
CCF may be one of the most classic Ayurvedic herbal teas, and for a good reason! This herbal tea is a popular combination of herbs that are great for digestion: cumin, coriander, and fennel. CCF delivers a nutty flavor that is perfect for any time of the day and any season! CCF is beneficial for supporting our detoxification pathways and increasing digestive strength (which is vital for one’s health).
- Combine a 1:1:1 ratio of cumin seed, coriander seed, and fennel seed
- Add 1 liter of water and 1Tbsp of CCF mixture to a pot and bring to a boil
- Once boiling, reduce the heat and simmer for 7 minutes
One of the most nourishing teas to take daily is the traditional Ayurvedic formula of Chyawanprash. This healthy herbal tea is made from a powerful concoction of superfoods and medicinal herbs to create an energizing nutritive jam that bolsters immunity and helps maintain health and well-being all year long. Read more about the health benefits of Chyawanprash here. This tea is gentle enough to drink every morning before breakfast.
- Boil a cup of water
- Pour into your favorite mug and stir in 1-2 tsp of PIOR Living Chyawanprash
- Mix well and sip consciously
For more tea in inspiration, check out What are Ayurvedic Teas?
Clare Michalik, Ayurvedic Practitioner