If you’ve been feeling a little run down or anxious lately, this grounding meditation practice will help you re-balance your energy and strengthen your health.
Meditation has a long history of increasing calmness, grounding heightened anxiety and stress, and restoring the body, mind, and spirit into alignment. Research studies state that consistent meditation practice can improve many health conditions, thus improving our immune health and overall wellbeing. In Ayurveda, strong immune health is called ojas, or vitality and vigor.
Build Ojas to Ground
There is a reason some people get sick all the time and others don’t. Whether it’s becoming physically ill or sick due to chronic stress, anxiety, or fear, a lot of what makes us susceptible to sickness is due to the strength of our ojas. By strengthening your ojas, you are directly increasing your overall health and wellbeing, making you more able to handle life’s daily stressors.
Try this grounding meditation to connect you to the Earth, and build ojas within.
5-Minute Grounding Meditation
- Find a comfortable seat, and connect your feet to the ground.
- Sit up tall and lengthen your spine from your sitting bone, all the way through the crown of your head.
- Allow your body to settle. Take any last little movement to become entirely comfortable.
- Gently close your eyes, or soften your gaze to the tip of your nose.
- Take a long breath out. Notice your body as you exhale and release stagnant energy.
- Bring your attention to your lower belly as you breathe in and out. Place your hands on top of your stomach for further connection.
- Breathe slowly and deeply, in and out.
- Now, imagine a white light coming from your higher power from above. Bring that energy and light into your physical body through the crown of your head.
- Feel that energy moving directly down your spine, collecting any imbalances that have accumulated in your body.
- Notice the energy moving within you.
- See, imagine, or feel those energetic imbalances within you moving down and out through the soles of your feet. Then entering back into the Earth to be recycled.
- Ask that those imbalances be washed away.
- Call in the grounding, reliable, stable energy of the Earth. Invite this energy back up through your feet, into your legs, and your whole being.
- Feel your energy strong and your vigor to be restored as you become connected with the Earth and the universal energy around you.
- Open your eyes slowly, and write down anything that came to you during this meditation.
To further your practice, try these Grounding Yoga Poses.
Additional Ways to Build Ojas
Fill your house with plants
All plants are a direct connection to the Earth. When we fill our space with this energy and harmony, we further strengthen our relationship to the grounding force that is Nature.
Take rejuvenating herbs
Plants have healing properties, and when taken with intention and specific guidance, they can bring great healing. Chyawanprash is a traditional Rasayana specifically designed to strengthen ojas and increase the vitality of one’s full being.
Abhyanga is the art of a self-oiled massage. It is rejuvenating from its direct application of warm oil onto the skin. Abhyanga will moisten the body’s tissues, ground your energy from the heavy, dense oil, and, when practiced consistently, will strengthen ojas. This practice is a beautiful expression of self-love
Try walking barefoot in the grass to feel that direct connection to earth energy. Go for daily walks after dinner or layout to absorb the sun’s energy. Nothing may build ojas more than pure immersion into Nature.
Clare Michalik, Ayurvedic Practitioner